Hello everyone. I trust that you are all safe and well? Well these days and nights are becoming interesting aren’t they? At least the weather has been kind to us. We have had some beautiful sunshine and clear blue skies. I really do hope that you are following the government’s advice to stay home and stay safe?
I have been checking in on Showbie and have to say a huge well done to:
Donovan, The Chadwick, Dee Dub (Daniel) and Jacob for your commitment to your work. There will be an agreed reward for the students who have checked into Showbie the most on our return to school.
I set a task a few weeks ago and I would like to share Donovan’s acrostic poem “The Rainbow Children.”
Wow I think you will agree that these are very powerful and heartfelt words from Donovan. He is probably feeling the way lots of young people in our country are right now. Nicely expressed Donovan.
Bethany has been keeping busy with her family and has made the Chicken Biryani recipe off Showbie – well done Bethany, I bet Mr Southerington would have liked to have tested this.
We have had some lockdown birthdays so we would like to wish: Dylan, Donovan, James and Michael C., Dawud, Miss Kansik and Mrs McCarthy a very Happy Birthday Spring Brook style. So on our return to school (whenever that maybe and when it is safe to do so) I promise you all a big garden party with fun food, games, music and a water slide! Jelly and ice cream of course.
This week saw St George’s Day pass on the 23rd of April. Again, this is something we would usually celebrate at school. I promised my George jelly and ice cream for his Saint’s day. In Spain when it is your Saint’s day it is like another birthday celebration.
As we approach Ramadan we understand that this will be a different yet difficult time for some families. We will be continuing with our safe and well check in calls but we will be mindful that it is Ramadan and we will leave the calls to later in the afternoon.
This week I have been working on our new website with Mr Woods from our MAT – I am really excited to see the finished new website – watch this space!
Some information about Free School Meal vouchers, I know it has been a challenge. The next round will be sent out soon. Here is some information for you that might help to ease the process:
- Vouchers will be sent out by Wednesday next week for another 4 week period to the value of £60.
- The Government are advising that the busiest times to register your code and claim your voucher online are between 8am and 4pm Mon- Thurs but we are finding that the website can be very busy between 8am and 9pm each day. We recommend registering codes in the evening or over the weekend.
- Once you have registered your code and have applied for your voucher, it can take up to 7 days for your voucher to be emailed.
- If vouchers are lost, we are unable to issue a new code.
- Aldi has now been added to the scheme and can be chosen as the supermarket to spend your voucher in.
- School have no control over the online portal. There is huge demand for the service with over £11million worth of vouchers being claimed over the past two weeks. Please be patient and if you do have any problems, we will of course help you as much as we can – just give us a ring or email.
At Spring Brook, we are aware that it is difficult to try new things, the unknown is a barrier to learning. However, we are very proud of how our young people rise to challenges and now embrace new ventures sooner.
Here is a little video we shared with the Governors and Trustees showing the engagement of all our pupils with new experiences and activities. With the Covid-19 lockdown, they face new challenges but the ethos of engagement is still being shown by staff and students remotely.
Enjoy the sun this weekend, stay active, stay home, stay safe.
Much Spring Brook love,
Head of Site
You can find all our weekly blog entries here
Click here to read this week’s news from Graham