“You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.”
Christopher Robin (Winnie the Pooh)
At Spring Brook Upper, we believe in the teaching of PSHE:
• To equip our pupils for the challenges and realities of the world beyond school.
• To build knowledge and skills necessary to live healthy, safe, productive, capable, responsible and balanced lives.
• To explore emotional, social and physical aspects of growing up, relationships, sex, sexuality, and health.
• To equip pupils with knowledge and skills to make mature and informed choices in a broad range of contexts.
It is our aim across the Secondary phase to develop this knowledge and build on these skills in all of our children.
At Spring Brook Upper, we are committed to educating all pupils about relationships, sex, health, wellbeing, keeping safe, managing feelings, and the wider world.
PSHE contributes to the personal development of our pupils in:
• building confidence
• resilience and self-esteem
• managing risk
• making informed choices
• understanding what influences decisions
We want all of our pupils to:
• understand their own identities and those of others
• value difference and accommodate change
• communicate constructively
We believe this will help our pupils to:
• develop an understanding of themselves and others
• form and maintain good relationships
• enhance their future prospects
PSHE Lessons at Spring Brook Upper
PSHE is delivered through age appropriate teaching with flexibility to meet our learners individual needs. PSHE lessons enable our pupils to explore emotional, physical, and social aspects of growing up, relationships, consent, sexual behaviour, sexuality, sexual health, and sexual relationships.
The curriculum gives pupils skills to manage their social, personal, offline and online lives in a positive manner, enabling them to make mature and informed choices in their communities.
Intent, Implementation and Impact
More details on the intent, implementation and impact of our PSHE Curriculum can be viewed by following this link:
PSHE is assessed half termly using the school Dashboard system. For each topic, pupils are assessed against statements aligned to Spring Brook Academy’s destination mapping.
Lessons are assessed in-class, with objectives aligned to statutory requirements. We maintain up to date subject knowledge through PSHE Association membership.
We seek accreditation by external agencies such as Stonewall.
To support our learners, we use a range of different technology, including iPads and specially selected Apps.